Energy Efficiency - Data Centers

Ben Cannon ben at 6by7.net
Wed Dec 18 19:11:05 UTC 2019

It is overwhelmingly disposed of as heat, even all useful work.  The amount of energy leaving a DC in fiber cables, etc is perhaps a millionth of one percent.

Even in your lightbulb example, if the light is used inside a room, it gets turned back into heat once it hits the walls.

So in a closed system, it’s all heat.

Now, power is lost before it can be used for compute/routing, mostly in power conversions.  Of which there are many in most DCs.  Companies like Facebook and Amazon have done a lot of work to remove excess power conversion steps, to chase better PUE (Power Unit Efficiency) and get more electricity to the computers before losing it as excess heat in voltage conversions.  There’s still room for improvement here, and the power wasted here goes directly to heat before doing any other useful work.

Source: I have a C-20 HVAC license and own and operate 2 datacenters.

-Ben.

-Ben Cannon
CEO 6x7 Networks & 6x7 Telecom, LLC
ben at 6by7.net <mailto:ben at 6by7.net>