A new open source RPKI CA solution: NLnet Labs' Krill

Alex Band alex at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Dec 18 09:40:03 UTC 2019

An update to this:

Last week Krill was deployed at NIC.br, the National Internet Registry of Brazil, making RPKI available to Brazilian operators for the first time.

This is an interesting scenario, as NIC.br does not offer a Hosted RPKI service like the five RIRs do. Instead, every Brazilian operator has to run Delegated RPKI. This means running RPKI CA software to create a resource certificate yourself, have it signed by the NIC.br parent CA (which is, in turn, signed by the LACNIC CA) and then use it to create ROAs.

NIC.br does offer an RPKI Publication Server to their members. As a result, operators don’t have to make their certificate and ROAs available to the world themselves via Rsync+HTTPS, but can instead publish in the NIC.br RPKI repository.

Practically, this means installing Krill on minimal hardware, exchanging two XML files with the parent CA in their web portal, after which you can manage ROAs locally using a CLI, API and soon a UI.

I was curious to see how many operators would be willing to take this route. Now, after one week, 25 Krill instances are running and over 100 ROAs are already published with 100% data accuracy.

It’ll be interesting to see how this evolves over the next few months, as it changes the mostly Hosted RPKI landscape we’ve seen over the last 8 years.

-Alex