Expect (was: Software Defined Networks)

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Fri Dec 13 05:14:36 UTC 2019

I (and another programmer, now at Amazon) migrated our automation from
TCL/Expect to Python/pexpect.  I've had to write code for those portions
of Expect that didn't carry over into pexpect.

I also had to build a framework that allowed me to do rule-based
programming in the same flavor as Expect's "expect" statement, which
isn't hard but tedious as all get-out.  Maintenance of the code using
the framework is head and shoulders better than the same tasks in
Expect.  Particularly when Cisco makes little changes in their
operations as you move up the revision chain.