Elephant in the room - Akamai

Keenan Tims ktims at stargate.ca
Fri Dec 6 19:29:39 UTC 2019

Speaking as a (very) small operator, we've also been seeing less and
less of our Akamai traffic coming to us over peering over the last
couple years. I've reached out to Akamai NOC as well as Jared directly
on a few occasions and while they've been helpful and their changes
usually have some short-term impact, the balance has always shifted back
some weeks/months later. I've more or less resigned myself to this being
how Akamai wants things, and as we so often have to as small fish, just
dealing with it.

We're currently seeing about 80% of our AS20940 origin traffic coming
from transit, and I'm certain there's a significant additional amount
which is difficult to identify coming from on-net caches at our upstream
providers (though it appears from the thread that may be reducing as
well). Only about 20% is coming from peering where we have significantly
more capacity and lower costs. Whatever the algorithm is doing, from my
perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense and is pretty frustrating,
and I'm somewhat concerned about busting commits and possibly running
into congestion for the next big event that does hit us, which would not
be a problem if it were delivered over peering.

Luckily we're business focussed, so we're not getting hit by these
gaming events.

Keenan Tims
Stargate Connections Inc (AS19171)