Gmail email blocking is off the rails (again)

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 23:43:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 15:12, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> In article <CAPKkNb537O5C_FQjh7ucWsF_4USK3EuHcJdkDv-ZJLU8EK1Kmg at mail.gmail.com> you write:
> >Google still rejects email from my own domain name as outlined in a
> >prior message on this list a month or two ago:
>
> Google accepts my mail just fine, including from my mailing lists.
> Their goal is to make their users happy by accepting the mail the
> users want and not the mail the users don't want.

First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out, because I
was not a communist. …

…

I've recently noticed that a whole bunch of mailing list posts end up
in the spam folder, too; from small personal domains without a _dmarc,
for example, so, let's not brush it all under DMARC compliance, shall
we?  It's been getting worse in the recent months.  The writing is on
the wall that Google only cares about the corporate users now.
They've already shutdown XMPP and Google Plus; yet the underlying
products are still alive.

> Perhaps it would be more productive to figure out in what ways your system
> is different from others.  It would also help to stop being coy and tell
> us the actual IP addresses and domains that are having trouble so people
> who might want to help can do so.

This presumes that the issue is related to my static setup, but it's
not.  Last time around, several people contacted me offlist, and
didn't find any issues with my setup either.

Plus, as mentioned, I myself have never had any major issues with my
mail being accepted by Gmail, either, before I started sending myself
some cron output with some domain names they deem malicious.  There
were no other changes to the IP address or to the domain name on my
side.

Now here's a novel idea — instead of me having to publish the
irrelevant details and doing crowdsourced troubleshooting, maybe
Google should tell in their rejection messages the actual reason why
they reject these emails, or provide such data on Postmaster Tools,
instead of the folk having to resort to the random people on the
internet trying to assemble and figure out the interoperability issues
of the black box that Google Mail and G Suite are?

P.S. For my own story, I disabled a whole bunch of cron tasks, and it
seems like the "reputation" hit has subsided, but even after a month
or so, it seems like it still hasn't healed completely.  I'm still
using alternative domains in MAIL FROM if the message has to get
through, which still works as a workaround (still same IP and all).

C.