A new open source RPKI CA solution: NLnet Labs' Krill

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Tue Dec 3 16:08:53 UTC 2019

Dear fellow network operators,

It appears Santa brought presents early this year! I'd like to draw
attention to the below forwarded message and provide my take on it.

Some of you represent organisations that interact with multiple RIRs,
and have concluded it can be challenging to figure out the RPKI ROA
provisioning process for each individual RIR and integrate those
different processes with your internal business process.

Every RIR provides their members with what is called a 'hosted' RPKI
service. The 'hosted' RPKI service means the RIRs offer web interfaces
which operators use to create & publish RPKI ROAs. However, the devil is
in de details: concepts such as 'who holds the private keys?' or the API
specification differ from RIR to RIR. In this context the differences
aren't necessarily good or bad, they are just different.

For many operators the RIR hosted model is excellent, but ... there also
is a class of users who would perhaps benefit from something more
'unified', and this is where Krill comes in!

The use case where Krill really shines is that you can ask your RIR to
delegate your resources to your Krill instance, and then build your
tooling to interact with just Krill (instead of building RIR-specific
software)!

To me the very existence of Krill is a sign of a maturing RPKI
ecosystem. If I stare deeply into my crystal ball I can already see the
rise of third-party hosted RPKI solutions for provisioning & monitoring
RPKI objects, or integrations with IPAM systems such as 6connect. I
believe these would be positive developments for the operational
Internet community.

In short: if RPKI is on your company's roadmap, give Krill a spin! :)

get the goods: https://github.com/NLnetLabs/krill
documentation: https://rpki.readthedocs.io/en/latest/krill/

Kind regards,

Job