RIPE our of IPv4

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 2 20:37:17 UTC 2019

> On Dec 1, 2019, at 18:05 , Brandon Martin <lists.nanog at monmotha.net> wrote:
>
> On 12/1/19 8:56 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> End Users
>> End users receive IP addresses for use in their internal networks only, and not for distribution to external users of their Internet services.
>
> I guess it's possible that these networks would be considered end users, but I get the impression that they would probably be classified as ISPs, and then the fee would indeed be $500/yr for 2X-Small.  A bit ridiculous for IPv6-only, but still probably approaching noise in the budget for a service provider who has a legacy allocation unless they have remained tiny somehow (in which case, sell off some of that IP space you have and pay your $500/yr for the next decade or so).
>
> FWIW, if you need it, you should also be immediately eligible for a /24 for IPv6 deployment and transition tech at no additional cost since your legacy space wouldn't be considered by ARIN unless you specifically brought it under their purview AFAIK.  Even if you don't need the space, per se, there are often times where it's useful to have a disjoint /24 e.g. for traffic engineering, anycast, DNS servers, etc.  All depends on how much legacy space you have, I guess.  I'm also somewhat hopeful that, as those allocations all come from a known block, the various content networks will recognize them as being likely to house the inevitable (eventually) CGN sources, but I won't hold my breath.

I would like to clarify that the idea of Legacy “Space” i somewhat fallacious. In reality there are only legacy registrations. Once the registration is brought under an RSA (or LRSA) either by the original holder, or through the transfer process, the resulting registration loses its “Legacy” status. In the case of LRSA, there are some additional rights afforded to the original holder, but in the event of a subsequent transfer, that space would move to a standard RSA.

ARIN will consider all space held by an organization, whether legacy or otherwise in computing need. However, to the best of my knowledge, need under a section 4.10 request is computed independent of other IPv4 holdings. As such, I believe that the first /24 issued to an organization under section 4.10 would not consider their existing IPv4 holdings. Subsequent 4.10 requests are evaluated based on the utilization of the previous 4.10 space for its intended purpose.

> I guess you also get to vote in ARIN elections and comment on policy matters as a member, if that matters to you.

Membership is not required to comment on policy matters. Anyone with an email address may comment on policy matters simply by subscribing to and participating in the ARIN public policy mailing list.

Membership is required to vote in ARIN elections for the Advisory Council and the Board of Trustees.

Owen