US Broadband IPv6 (Re: RIPE out of IPv4)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Dec 2 13:59:58 UTC 2019

> On Dec 2, 2019, at 12:09 AM, Justin Streiner <streinerj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Requests for updates from front-line customer service go into a black hole, as do sidebar questions to our Verizon account team at $dayjob.

Most of the cellular + wireline providers are looking to bring FTT(area) and then just do cellular backhaul.  This is going to let them overlay the existing areas outside their primary service area and compete in last-mile in ways they couldn’t do years ago.

T-Mobile and ATT both have these services today.  I haven’t seen a Verizon announcement but expect it. Much of the ATT expansion was funded out of CAF II funds. https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/caf2-auction903-results/

Any new developments the providers are all doing fiber on poles or underground (which makes sense in a joint trench situation).  I expect those services will remain at the IPv6 density they are at present and only increase over time as services continue to put AAAA on their front-side.

I’m not expecting Verizon to invest any more into existing FIOS than they did in the areas they divested.

- Jared