RIPE our of IPv4

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Mon Dec 2 02:05:17 UTC 2019

On 12/1/19 8:56 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> End Users
> End users receive IP addresses for use in their internal networks only, and not for distribution to external users of their Internet services.

I guess it's possible that these networks would be considered end users,
but I get the impression that they would probably be classified as ISPs,
and then the fee would indeed be $500/yr for 2X-Small.  A bit ridiculous
for IPv6-only, but still probably approaching noise in the budget for a
service provider who has a legacy allocation unless they have remained
tiny somehow (in which case, sell off some of that IP space you have and
pay your $500/yr for the next decade or so).

FWIW, if you need it, you should also be immediately eligible for a /24
for IPv6 deployment and transition tech at no additional cost since your
legacy space wouldn't be considered by ARIN unless you specifically
brought it under their purview AFAIK.  Even if you don't need the space,
per se, there are often times where it's useful to have a disjoint /24
e.g. for traffic engineering, anycast, DNS servers, etc.  All depends on
how much legacy space you have, I guess.  I'm also somewhat hopeful
that, as those allocations all come from a known block, the various
content networks will recognize them as being likely to house the
inevitable (eventually) CGN sources, but I won't hold my breath.

I guess you also get to vote in ARIN elections and comment on policy
matters as a member, if that matters to you.

--
Brandon Martin