Weekly Routing Table Report

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Sat Aug 31 00:40:18 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 03:09:24PM -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> A very long time ago, I commented on this report hitting 250,000 prefixes. It was a Big F*#@$&! Deal at the time. A quarter million prefixes in the DFZ? Wow???.
>
> Then I did it again at 500,000. People commented that I should have waited for 512,000 - especially since a popular piece of kit was expected to fall over at 512K prefixes. But I said I liked round numbers.
>
> This time I waited for 768,000. (Everyone happy now?)

No, actually!

I came on board when there were about 32,000 prefixes and we were
panicked about that. "CIDRize or die", I think Sean Doran said. I
remember well the memory and cam struggles to keep up with growth. Its
phenomenal, yes, but also, "WTF, PEOPLE??? CAN'T ANYONE AGGREGATE
ANYMORE???"

:)

-Wayne

---