Asset management recommendations

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Sat Aug 24 12:41:39 UTC 2019

Expanding further, there are those that use ansible for network
management.  But I don't think it does well in scaling out for
functionality.  I have used saltstack for network config and server
builds, as it becomes the source of truth for the infrastructure,
allowing for consistent upgrades and additions. Combining with something
like netbox for infrastructure source of truth, one can build to spec,
and then use something like rancid as an independent confirmation of
'build to spec'.

I've been able to script builds to automatically boot a blank device via
pxeboot, get an operating system and customized modules installed,
restarted, automatically registered to receive the starting
configuration, register against a check_mk/nagios based monitoring
system, and for servers, to automatically create and build containers
and their contents.  It greatly simplifies the maintenance and upgrade
tasks in to repeatable and reproducible build solutions.  Plus the
source of truth configuration files can be version controlled to provide
a history infrastructure adjustments.

What I like about saltstack and netbox, is that they are both based upon
python, which is a relatively common skillset and a growing ecosystem.

https://netbox.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/states/