SMF Tie Cable Standards for Data Center Applications

Chris Costa ccosta92630 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 22:18:13 UTC 2019

In our new data center builds we're transitioning from MMF to SMF for
the tie cabling between networking gear in the MDF/IDF racks to the
server racks. Today those interconnects are short (under 100 meters)
10GE and 40GE-LX4 over MMF. We’re transitioning to SMF to support
services beyond that, such as 100GBASE-LR4. Would G.652.D be the right
specification for the infrastructure tie cabling? Are there other
considerations around this?

Thank you