syn flood attacks from NL-based netblocks

Amir Herzberg amir.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 13:41:40 UTC 2019

The number of TCP syn-ack amplifiers is large. It may suffice to allow
clogging a provider or IX, using low load per amplifier, as described. Such
low load is likely to be undetected by most operators, and even when
detected (e.g. by Jim), only few (e.g. Mike) will have sufficient
motivation to block it - esp. considering that there blocking it would
often be non-trivial, in Mike's case, the amplifiers were DNS servers and
sounds like he simply blocked packets to unallowed networks (good practice
for DNS anyway - although I wonder why not block the incoming requests
instead). Notice that one annoying aspect of these attacks is that tcp
congestion control isn't relevant.

The current packets could be part of a research experiment about this
threat, or the instrumentation part of preparing such attack. I would not
rule out research, since it isn't trivial to know if the attack can be
really viable to clog a provider or IX; in fact finding this out in an
ethical way appears a non-trivial challenge, I'll give it some thought
(ideas welcome). Also I wonder what would be good _defenses_ against such
attack. Of course one way would be to prevent spoofed-IP packets, but that
goal has proved quite difficult...
--
Amir Herzberg
Comcast professor for security innovation