new BGP hijack & visibility tool “BGPalerter”

Kushal R. kushal.r at h4g.co
Wed Aug 14 16:51:53 UTC 2019

This is great. Will be testing this later in the day. We like a lot of others were using BGPMon.

— Kushal R. Executive Management | Host4Geeks
Email: kushal.r at h4g.co Skype: kush.raha Phone (Text/WhatsApp): +1-310-405-0010 [tel:+1-310-405-0010] (Global) / +91-8830547876 [tel:+91-8830547876] (India)
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:19pm, Eric Lindsjö < eric at emj.se [eric at emj.se] > wrote: On 8/14/19 4:54 PM, Job Snijders wrote:
> Dear NANOG,
>
> Recently NTT investigated how to best monitor the visibility of our
> own and our subsidiaries’ IP resources in the BGP Default-Free Zone.
> We were specifically looking how to get near real-time alerts funneled
> into an actionable pipeline for our NOC & Operations department when
> BGP hijacks happen.
>
> Previously we relied on a commercial “BGP Monitoring as a Service”
> offering, but with the advent of RIPE NCC’s “RIS Live” streaming API
> [1] we saw greater potential for a self-hosted approach designed
> specifically for custom integrations with various business processes.
> We decided to write our own tool “BGPalerter” and share the source
> code with the Internet community.
>
> BGPalerter allows operators to specify in great detail how to
> distribute meaningful information from the firehose from various BGP
> data sources (we call them “connectors”), through data processors
> (called “monitors”), finally outputted through “reports” into whatever
> mechanism is appropriate (Slack, IRC, email, or a call to your
> ticketing system’s API).
>
> The source code is available on Github, under a liberal open source
> license to foster community collaboration:
>
> https://github.com/nttgin/BGPalerter
>
> If you wish to contribute to the project, please use Github’s “issues”
> or “pull request” features. Any help is welcome! We’d love suggestions
> for new features, updates to the documentation, help with setting up a
> CI regression testing pipeline, or packaging for common platforms.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Job & Massimo
> NTT Ltd
>
> [1]: https://ris-live.ripe.net/

Excellent, now I don't have to write it myself. Looking forward to
testing. Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor with the community.

Kind regards,
Eric