Protecting 1Gb Ethernet From Lightning Strikes

Rob Pickering rob at pickering.org
Tue Aug 13 18:51:39 UTC 2019

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 19:23, Javier J <javier at advancedmachines.us> wrote:

> I'm working with a client site that has been hit twice, very close by
> lightening.
>
> I did lots of electrical work/upgrades/grounding but now I want to focus
> on protecting Ethernet connections between core switching/other devices
> that can't be migrated to fiber optic.
>
> I was looking for surge protection devices for Ethernet but have never
> shopped for anything like this before. Was wondering if anyone has deployed
> a solution?
> They don't have a large presence on site (I have been moving all of their
> core stuff to AWS) but they still have core networking / connectivity and
> PoE cameras / APs around the property.
> Since migrating their onsite servers/infra to the cloud, now their
> connectivity is even more important.

The correct answer is use fiber.

If you really, really can't then APC make a single port transient arrestor
p/n PNET1GB.

I've used these in the past for a PoE phone in a wooden gatehouse hut right
on the 100M max length with no power for active kit and they seem to work
fine. I'm using one at the moment for a PoE access point in my garden shed.
Not sure I would bring an inter building link in copper onto an expensive
core switch though.

Don't know of anything in higher density than "one port".

Rob Pickering, rob at pickering.org