Protecting 1Gb Ethernet From Lightning Strikes

Javier J javier at advancedmachines.us
Tue Aug 13 18:22:12 UTC 2019

I'm working with a client site that has been hit twice, very close by
lightening.

I did lots of electrical work/upgrades/grounding but now I want to focus on
protecting Ethernet connections between core switching/other devices that
can't be migrated to fiber optic.

I was looking for surge protection devices for Ethernet but have never
shopped for anything like this before. Was wondering if anyone has deployed
a solution?
They don't have a large presence on site (I have been moving all of their
core stuff to AWS) but they still have core networking / connectivity and
PoE cameras / APs around the property.
Since migrating their onsite servers/infra to the cloud, now their
connectivity is even more important.

This is a small site, maybe about 200 switch ports, but I would only need
to protect maybe 12 core ones. but would be something I could use in the
future with larger deployments.
it's just a 1Gbe network BTW.

Hope someone with more experience can help make hardware recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

- Javier