MAP-E

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sat Aug 10 07:13:44 UTC 2019

Lee Howard wrote:

>> So, all we need is NAT44 CPE, which only uses a reserved block of ports,
>> which is (semi) statically configured by ISP operated gateway.
>>
> How would you route from the provider edge?
>
> If CPE A has 192.0.2.15 port 1000-2999
>
> and CPE B has 192.0.2.15 port 3000-4999,

Oops,I concentrated on minimizing logging and forgot about that.
Sorry. I assume COE gateway also act as NAT44, though no port
translation necessary there.

> how does your BRAS or CMTS or edge router know whether to forward a
> packet to A or B?

Incoming packets are forwarded to A or B by private IP address of A
or B based on source port.

Depending on configuration, some port may always accept incoming
packets and other port accept incoming packets only when the port
is used by an outgoing connection.

>> Pro: Stateless, very efficient, no IPv6 necessary Con: No current
>> CPE support.
>>
>> As for protocol, assuming port mapping on UPnP gateway is statically
>> configured by ISPs not changable from CPE side, GetListOfPortMappings()
>> of UPnP should be useful for CPEs to know range of ports to be used
>> by them.
>
> Do CPEs do this now, or is this another feature to ask vendors for?

I think there is no current CPE support. COE supporting
GetListOfPortMappings() may not exist, either.

						Masataka Ohta