MAP-E

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Fri Aug 9 17:19:54 UTC 2019

On 8/9/19 1:32 AM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>   ❦  8 août 2019 16:18 -04, Lee Howard <lee.howard at retevia.net>:
>
>> NAT64. IPv6-only to users. DNS resolver given in provisioning
>> information is a DNS64 server. When it does a lookup but there's no
>> AAAA, it invents one based on the A record (e.g., 2001:db8:64::<IPv4
>> address>). The IPv6 prefix in the invented AAAA is actually a NAT64
>> translator. Pro: no CPE support required, well understood. Con: No
>> support for IPv4-only stuff in the prem, breaks DNSSEC.
> Is there a known deployment for a medium/large ISP?

Not a fixed/wireline ISP.

The "con" that consumers' game consoles, smart TVs, and IoT things won't
work is a pretty big "con." I was working with a small ISP that was
running out of IPv4 addresses, and they kept saying "NAT64." I warned
them that while NAT64 would solve their runout problem, it would drive a
lot of unhappy customer calls.

It would be interesting if someone offered a NAT64 service (maybe for a
reduced price). Buyers could tell consumer electronics companies, "I
can't use your device without IPv6." But qualifying the customer who
would do that would be more expensive, I think, than just buying IPv4
addresses. Also but, would that be a Net Neutrality problem, charging
less for a service that has arguably worse access to Amazon, Reddit,
Twitter, etc.?

Lee