BGP router question

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Fri Aug 9 09:04:58 UTC 2019

* Art Stephens

> Hope this is not too off topic but can any one advise if a Dell S4048-ON can support full ebgp routes?

As others have mentioned, you won't be able to program them all in the forwarding plane, but the control plane can receive them all just fine (it has more than enough RAM).

If your use case allows for accepting a default route from your IP transit providers along with the full feed, you can easily implement control plane policies that ensure that what gets installed to the forwarding plane is only the routes to the destinations you care the most about + the default route to cover the long tail of traffic to the rest of the world.

You can use the S4048-ON (or any equivalent layer-3 capable data centre switch) as a border router this way, at a fraction of what a big C or J router would cost you. We started doing this a few years back and we're not regretting it.

https://labs.spotify.com/2016/01/27/sdn-internet-router-part-2/
https://www.redpill-linpro.com/sysadvent/2016/12/09/slimming-routing-table.html

Tore