Mx204 alternative

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Aug 9 06:12:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 09:09, Radu-Adrian Feurdean
<nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, at 16:51, Tom Hill wrote:
> > No-one has mentioned it yet, so for completeness big C have the ASR 9901
>
> Weren't we talking about "decently priced" ?

ASR9901 and MX204 being wildly differently priced is market
inefficiency. It's difficult for me to see, how CSCO could justify the
premium for any volume order. Either sell at market or lose sale.

> > (not 9001) with traditional router bits in it.
>
> 9001, while approaching EoL, can be a good solution if your needs are limited : 8x10G + 20x1G, you should get it for a good price - refurbished.

Also it will never run eXR. I have no information, but I think it's
reasonable to suspect the OS not being sold may receive decreasing
amount of NRE. I wouldn't certainly spend my time writing code for
product I'm not selling.

--
  ++ytti