MAP-E

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Aug 9 05:59:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019, Jay Hanke wrote:

> Actually your post is better than a presentation. I was quite surprised
> at the adoption rate of DS-Lite. There must be some pretty decent B4
> implementations with that many operators deployed.

The DOCSIS residential gateway vendors seem to have converged on ds.lite,
probably because it was the first one out the gate. I've seen support for
this on RGs for other WAN technologies. It's not great, but it's what has
the most support in devices available.

Lots of ds.lite is in Germany, and most/all the cable operators there have
converged on ds.lite. This is not uncommon that several operators in a
country converge on a similar strategy. Engineers moving employment
between operators bring with them the know-how and do the same thing over
again at the new place, and also there is a kind of "herd immunity"
against customer complaints if your deployment and service offering has
similar properties to most of your competitors in the country.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se