MAP-E

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Aug 8 21:31:02 UTC 2019

The point is that the situation is that same for *all* the transition mechanisms, except DS-Lite, which was the first one.

Even lw4o6, which is a better choice than DS-LITE is not well supported even the CE is basically doing the same!

I've a recent presentation in the last APNIC meeting, which is also recorded in youtube:

https://conference.apnic.net/47/program/schedule/#/day/11/ipv4aas-tutorial-and-hands-on---part-1

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 8/8/19 22:21, "NANOG en nombre de Lee Howard" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org en nombre de lee.howard at retevia.net> escribió:

    On 8/2/19 11:39 AM, Jay Hanke wrote:
    > Is there a summary presentation someplace laying out the options that
    > are active in the wild with some deployment stats?

    I can't think of a public presentation off the top of my head that
    explains how each major transition technology works, and the pros and
    cons of each. There must be one, but it's hard to cover the major
    options in an hour.

    If you want to know who is using any given transition technology,
    there's this crowd-sourced list:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ksOoWOaRdRyjZnjLSikHf4O5L1OUTNOO_7NK9vcVApc/edit#gid=0

    Very brief summary of options:

    NAT444. Your basic NAT, plus NAT again. You really need to deploy IPv6,
    too, or all your traffic will go through a translator (everything else
    below assumes native IPv6 is deployed). State information can get
    expensive. Well understood.

    Dual-stack Lite. CPE sends IPv4 traffic through an IPv6 tunnel
    (softwire) to a pre-configured DS-Lite box, which does NAT44. Works
    fine, deployed at scale (see sheet above), but keeping state on lots of
    NAT44 can get expensive at scale.

    NAT64. IPv6-only to users. DNS resolver given in provisioning
    information is a DNS64 server. When it does a lookup but there's no
    AAAA, it invents one based on the A record (e.g., 2001:db8:64::<IPv4
    address>). The IPv6 prefix in the invented AAAA is actually a NAT64
    translator. Pro: no CPE support required, well understood. Con: No
    support for IPv4-only stuff in the prem, breaks DNSSEC.

    464xlat. IPv6-only between CE and NAT64. Any IPv4 traffic the CPE
    receives, it translates to IPv6 and forwards to a destination that's the
    NAT64 server, which translates again. Pro: widely deployed at scale on
    mobile networks. Con: Very little CPE support in home routers.

    MAP-T, MAP-E. IPv6-only between CE and Border Relay (BR). CPE is
    provisioned with an IPv4 address and a range of ports. It does basic
    NAT44, but only uses the reserved ports. Then it translates to IPv6
    (MAP-T) or encapsulates in IPv6 (MAP-E) and forwards to the configured
    Border Relay (BR), which changes it to IPv4. Pro: Stateless, very
    efficient. Con: Very little CPE support in home routers.

    Jordi is going to tell me there's plenty of support for 464xlat.
    However, you can't go into any old electronics store in North America
    and buy a home gateway with support for 464xlat or MAP. You can't buy
    them directly from a vendor, unless you're large enough to request a
    specific firmware build. Yes, you can get support from OpenWRT, but
    that's probably not how you want your support team spending their time.

    CPE support is the next big frontier in IPv6 deployment.

    Lee