What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Aug 7 02:36:45 UTC 2019

In article <6956E76B-E6B7-409F-A636-C7607BFD881C at beckman.org> you write:
>Mehmet,
>
>I’m not sure if you understand the terms under which ISPs operate as “common carriers”, and thus enjoy immunity from lawsuits due to the acts of their customers.

ISPs in the U.S. are not carriers and never have been.  Even the ISPs
that are subsidaries of telcos, which are common carriers for their
telco operations, are not common carriers for their ISPs.

This should not come as surprise to anyone who's spent 15 minutes
looking at the relevant law.

ISPs are probably protected by 47 USC 230(c)(1) but all of the case
law I know is related to web sites or hosting providers.