What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Tue Aug 6 18:30:03 UTC 2019

I'm so tired of this thread - but the bottom line is that censorship and
even the definition of "hate" and "racism" (especially when used in the
vernacular!) are extremely subjective and can lead to situations where
reasonable people disagree. And if/when such policies are implemented to
try to limit or shut down such speech, horrific unintended collateral
damage will LIKELY occur. Also, totalitarian regimes OFTEN use the same
arguments to get their foot in the door of controlling and suppressing
speech. Even now, the mainstream news media is ALREADY highlighting a
very selective part of these murderer's ideologies, and suppressing
other parts, in order to convey an overall impression of their
ideologies that doesn't actually match them, but furthers certain biased
agendas. So actions to suppress "hate speech" and "racism" based on the
1/2 truths that most have been brainwashed to believe about these evil
murderers' beliefs (1/2 contradicted by their own actual writings, which
are already evil!), is ALREADY well on its way towards potentially
causing collateral damage by unplugging or suppressing forums/platforms
that really don't closely match the actual ideology of the shooters.

Again, I'm not defending the murderers in the slightest - I'm just
saying that many of those in favor of limiting speech are the SAME crowd
that is either publishing or consuming content that describes the
shooters' ideologies in a certain particular way that purposely tries to
make them look like a DIFFERENT group of deranged people, in order to
advance a biased agenda. So we're already well on the way towards the
collateral damage I mentioned above.

Also, I'm not saying that nothing should ever be done, or that we can't
make any changes or improvements, but the cure might end up being
potentially much worse than the disease if we're not careful.

--
Rob McEwen