What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue Aug 6 17:59:03 UTC 2019

Anne,

Is the CLOUD Act germane to North American network operations (the mission of NANOG)? My understanding is that this ACT was to help solve problems the FBI had with obtaining remote data through overseas service providers, through SCA warrants.

SCA already compels U.S.- and Canada-based service providers, via warrant or subpoena, to provide requested data stored on servers. It doesn’t matter if the data are stored in the U.S. or in another country. I’m not seeing how CLOUD impacts any NANOG member, which just encompasses Canada and the US (Mexico has its own network operator’s group, LACNOG.)

I’m open to being educated, however.

 -mel