Apple AS714 - peering down on the East Coast?

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Tue Aug 6 02:37:49 UTC 2019

Starting around July 28th, I noticed a latency spike (70ms) on some of our traffic to Apple (mainly api.apple-mapkit.com) coming out of Virginia. This traffic usually always takes some local peering, and never is higher then 10-15ms.

I checked from AWS backbone, Cogent, Zayo, Level3, all show 70+ ms from east coast.

I also noticed on bgp.he.net, Apple’s IPv4 peer list dropped from 307 to 275 also on July 28-29th.

Anyone else who peers with Apple on the east coast seeing this? Is it an outage or planned maintenance?

Thanks
John