What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 5 17:05:43 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:41 PM Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net> wrote:

> Ok, two mass shootings, touchy topic, lots of emotions this weekend. Going
> straight to the point.
>
> Most of us who operate internet services believe in not being the
> moderator of internet. We provide a service and that’s it. Obviously there
> are some established laws around protecting copyrights, and other things
> which force us to legally take action and turn things down when reported.
>
> What can we do better as network operators about hate sites like 8Chan?

De-anonymize them. Let them say what they'll say and defend their right to
say it but don't let them hide behind your name. Promise that when the
police come knocking and it appears to you to be a hate speech site, your
privacy policy is: none whatsoever.

The best cure for speech is more speech. The President notwithstanding,
hateful behavior has a hard time surviving the light of day. You shouldn't
be the censor but you can shine the light.

(Also, as a practical matter the further you force folks to the fringe, the
harder they are to track and thereby stop. Letting folks know you object by
terminating their service does them more of a favor than cooperating with
law enforcement.)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--