What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Mon Aug 5 16:24:55 UTC 2019

On 8/4/19 11:41 PM, Mehmet Akcin wrote:
> What can we do better as network operators about hate sites like 8Chan?

I actually went and looked at 8chan, it would appear to me they have a bunch
of hate filled people there, 10 yr olds who think saying the n-word makes them
cool, and then other bland users.

> I applaud cloudflare’s (perhaps slightly late) decision on kicking 8chan
> off its platform today after El Paso attack.
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/

I'd be more concerned with the lack of notice given to their customer.  This
was 24 hours notice, and I'd expect at least 30 days under any hosting
contract.  This scares the shit out of me as a customer; could cloudflare
decide to give me no notice and shut my services off?

Once you make the point that you're willing to play that game, how can you be
trusted as a provider?

> I am sure there are many sites like this out there, but could network
> operators do anything to make these sites “not so easy” to be found,
> reached, and used to end innocent lives?

These atrocities were committed by people willing to die for their cause, how
ever sick and fucked up it is.  There's little anyone can do against this sort
of actor, and it is why it's so terrifying.  I certainly don't have a solution
to it, but can say censorship is not the answer.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net