What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Mon Aug 5 15:54:31 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 10:41 PM Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net> wrote:

> What can we do better as network operators about hate sites like 8Chan?

What is a "hate site" and who gets to decide what constitutes a "hate
site"? These are the most dangerous questions of our time, because once we
begin sliding down the slippery slope of unbounded, subjectively-determined
censorship, we may find that we don't agree with what all is being
censored. To make this point perhaps more saliently, the vast majority of
regimes worldwide that engage or have engaged in censorship have done so
primarily in order to quell dissent against their policies and leaders. We
could implement a "great firewall" much like China has, but how long would
it be before it was viewed as a useful political tool to silence
opposition?

Could you imagine one side determining that any content related to,
perhaps, safe access to abortion, is counter to their ideal society and
hence "too dangerous" to allow the citizenry to view? Could the other side
then determine just as easily that content related to, say, gun rights is
objectionable and dangerous, also?

In my humble opinion, no one can or should be trusted with that sort of
power, and that is why we have the first amendment in the US constitution.

> I applaud cloudflare’s (perhaps slightly late) decision on kicking 8chan
> off its platform today after El Paso attack.
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/

Cloudflare is a private entity and can host or not host whatever it wants,
of course.

> I am sure there are many sites like this out there, but could network
> operators do anything to make these sites “not so easy” to be found,
> reached, and used to end innocent lives?

Websites can't end innocent lives; only actions taken offline by their
participants can do that. Having all of these sites online and as
in-the-open as possible has a benefit of allowing law enforcement to
monitor activity therein through legal means which allow for oversight and
due process, US constitutional concepts which protect all of us from
potential abuses of power. If we as operators wish to help prevent crimes
and violence, then we should foster good relationships with law
enforcement, and inform them of anything that we notice which may be
related to the commission of or threats of violence. They can then follow
prescribed paths which protect everyone involved to determine whether
enforcement action is necessary/possible without violating anyones' rights.
I'm not claiming the system is perfect, of course, but I don't think
anyone's going to do a whole lot better.

There is no perfect system. Bad people can and will still do bad things.
The best that we each can do is to be aware of our surroundings at all
times both online and off, and protect ourselves, our families, our homes,
and our communities.

- Matt