[nanog] Cisco GLBP/HSRP question -- Has it ever been dis

Nicolas Chabbey nchabbey at n3network.ch
Mon Aug 5 15:19:38 UTC 2019

Are there any good reasons of using proprietary FHRPs like HSRP and GLBP
over VRRP ?

I know that one reason may be interoperability with some vendors
equipment and old gears, but VRRPv3 is now widely used, in particular
for IPv6.

Also VRRP can be easily extended with proprietary extensions and looks
very similar to HSRP in its operation.

Regards.