What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:15:11 UTC 2019

Peace,

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 6:42 AM Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net> wrote:
> What can we do better as network operators about
> hate sites like 8Chan?

About nothing, because recent IETF developments like QUIC, ESNI, or
MASQUE would completely prohibit you from figuring out what sites you,
as an ISP, are giving an access to.  This is, uh, the very point of
those developments.

> I applaud cloudflare’s (perhaps slightly late) decision on
> kicking 8chan off its platform today after El Paso attack.

The 8chan shutdown is no more than a one off.  And I assume 8chan just
needs to change the name to get their service back.  There's no trend
whatsoever.

This is also sooo funny, because Cloudflare is happily protecting even
DDoS booters for almost a decade.

$ host -t A ddos-black.info
ddos-black.info has address 104.31.72.53
ddos-black.info has address 104.31.73.53
$ whois 104.31.72.53 | grep OrgName:
OrgName:        Cloudflare, Inc.
$ host -t A ddos-stress.cc
ddos-stress.cc has address 104.28.4.14
ddos-stress.cc has address 104.28.5.14
$ whois 104.28.4.14 | grep OrgName:
OrgName:        Cloudflare, Inc.
$

Those booters basically only exist because Cloudflare, OVH, and others
allow them to.  A booter business isn't very steady and profitable.
Without a cheap DDoS protection those services would be dead in weeks,
because sometimes their operators don't even know how to mitigate
their own attacks themselves.  So they get that protection from
Cloudflare, because apparently that doesn't violate "the Cloudflare
mission to help build a better Internet".

This is just one example.  Carding fraud, malware, illegal munitions,
drugs, whatever.  It's all there.  But, ya know, all those are much
better than some imageboard outta there. The latter is the root of all
evil.

--
Töma