What can ISPs do better? Removing racism out of internet

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Mon Aug 5 15:04:30 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 4 August, 2019 21:41, Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net> wrote:

>Most of us who operate internet services believe in not being the
>moderator of internet. We provide a service and that’s it. Obviously
>there are some established laws around protecting copyrights, and
>other things which force us to legally take action and turn things
>down when reported.

>What can we do better as network operators about hate sites like
>8Chan?

>I applaud cloudflare’s (perhaps slightly late) decision on kicking
>8chan off its platform today after El Paso attack.
>https://blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/

>I am sure there are many sites like this out there, but could network
>operators do anything to make these sites “not so easy” to be found,
>reached, and used to end innocent lives?

I do not quite understand this.

In days of yore, nutters used to send their screeds to Newspapers, TV and Radio stations.  Did you shut them down or move them to frequencies that could not be received with COTS TVs and Radios?  Did you ban the newspapers, put them out of business, or make it so their broadsheet was only available by travelling by aeroplane for 8 hours before breakfast?

Of course not, you silly duck!

There is an advantage to having all the nutters congregating on one place -- you know exactly where to find them.  Granted, the advantage is not exactly the same as we apply to politicians (or lawyers) who are kepts all in one place so that kinetic weapons can dispatch the whole lot at one go if necessary.

However, your solution of sweeping things you do not like under the rug is ill-conceived if not brain-dead in conception and you must not be permitted to carry out your objectives.  The fate of the free world depends on it.

However, do not worry.  US AG William Barr is doing a fine job deploying his "backdoors".  Why just the other day one of them was used to shut down the Georgia State Public Safety Services, and prior to that his "backdoors" were used to shut down several city computer systems in Florida and even the City of Baltimore.  Good work with those backdoors, Mr. Barr.  Job well done!

It is nincompoops who do not think about what they are doing that create such a bloody mess of things.  They should let the adults take care of it.

Now, enough of this off-topic stuff and back to our regularly scheduled programming.