User Unknown (WAS: really amazon?)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Aug 4 11:57:23 UTC 2019

On 4 Aug 2019, at 4:16 AM, Scott Christopher <sc at ottie.org<mailto:sc at ottie.org>> wrote:
What I have been saying is that if ARIN revoked Amazon's resources because of a trivial matter of bounced Abuse PoC, even if the small "community" of network operators and other interested parties passed a rule supporting this, the backlash would be *enormous* and lead to media attention, litigation, police, investigation by U.S. Congress, etc.

Scott,

That may be the case – for example anyone can initiate litigation for any perceived slight, whereas successful litigation is generally requires actual contractual breach or other cause of action.

The interests of the public affected by a global Amazon/AWS outage would greatly outweigh the rights of this small "community" which would ultimately be stripped away, I'd think.

It is possible, but far more likely an outcome in circumstances where ARIN contributed in some manner; e.g. an operational outage which was an element in the overall global event.
(hence our particular care in certain areas, e.g. ensuring folks know the conditions for use of our RPKI repository, and their duty to handle NOTFOUND and fall back appropriately per best practices…)

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO