User Unknown (WAS: really amazon?)

Scott Christopher sc at ottie.org
Sun Aug 4 08:16:38 UTC 2019

John Curran wrote:

> As I have noted previously, I have zero doubt in the enforceability of the ARIN registration services agreements in this regard – so please carefully consider proposed policy both from the overall community benefit being sought, and from the implications faced as a number resource holder having to comply oneself with the new obligations.

I completely agree that ARIN can revoke an organization's resources. Nobody has ever doubted that.

What I have been saying is that if ARIN revoked Amazon's resources because of a trivial matter of bounced Abuse PoC, even if the small "community" of network operators and other interested parties passed a rule supporting this, the backlash would be *enormous* and lead to media attention, litigation, police, investigation by U.S. Congress, etc.

The interests of the public affected by a global Amazon/AWS outage would greatly outweigh the rights of this small "community" which would ultimately be stripped away, I'd think.

This is moot, of course, because ARIN would give ample notices and time to Amazon and they would dutifully comply. But the original poster to which I replied invited us to imagine such a situation.

S.C.