User Unknown (WAS: really amazon?)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Aug 4 04:15:11 UTC 2019

On 31 Jul 2019, at 5:31 PM, Scott Christopher <sc at ottie.org<mailto:sc at ottie.org>> wrote:

What I have been saying is that, if ARIN did something so brazen as to revoke Amazon's resources because of some bounced PoC emails, the impact would be *dramatic* and likely lead to the end of ARIN. Just think about this for a minute. :) Obviously this will not happen because ARIN is so righteously competent. :)

Scott -

ARIN revokes resources because of other administrative matters (e.g. not paying one’s ARIN fees), and while there is obviously quite a bit of process and notice to avoid this if all possible, we do indeed revoke and networks go down as a result.    <https://www.arin.net/resources/fees/returns/#revocation

(This isn’t much different that what happens when an organization fails to renew their organizational domain name and then disappears from the net – failure to follow contractual terms results in consequences sometimes rather dramatic, and it’s not the registry’s fault nor is there meaningful legal recourse for halfwitted self-inflicted harm…)

If the community passes a new policy that makes clear that ARIN is to exercise contractual authority for violations of that policy, then we will establish a similar set of processes (with appropriate notice provisions) and then implement.

As I have noted previously, I have zero doubt in the enforceability of the ARIN registration services agreements in this regard – so please carefully consider proposed policy both from the overall community benefit being sought, and from the implications faced as a number resource holder having to comply oneself with the new obligations.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO