Best ways to ensure redundancy with no terrestrial ISPs

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 01:36:40 UTC 2019

In a remote area in northern africa if there are no terrestrial ISPs, and
there is no budget to build towers for PTP microwave, I don't know if there
are any reasonable options.

If sufficient funds did exist, my recommendation, if they really want true
diversity between two totally different services, would be a combination of
a MEO o3b earth station and a traditional geostationary type earth station
(Ku band) with appropriate RF chain and SCPC modem.

It is also possible to achieve full diversity through two totally separate
geostationary earth stations, using different satellite transponders and
different teleports on the other end.

But that's not going to be cheap, either in a one time equipment cost or in
monthly recurring cost, for o3b services and transponder kHz lease +
teleport services on the other end somewhere in continental Europe.