MAP-E

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 12:17:43 UTC 2019

Hello

Are there any known public deployments of MAP-E? What about CPE routers
with support?

The pricing on IPv4 is now at USD 20/address so I am thinking we are forced
to go the CGN route going forward. Of all the options, MAP-E appears to be
the most elegant. Just add/remove some more headers on a packet and route
it as normal. No need to invest in anything as our core routers can already
do that. No worries about scale.

BUT - our current CPE has zero support. We are too small that they will
make this feature just for us, so I need to convince them there is going to
be a demand. Alternatively I need to find a different CPE vendor that has
MAP-E support, but are there any?

What is holding MAP-E back?  In my view MAP-E could be the end game for
IPv4. Customers get full IPv6 and enough of IPv4 to be somewhat compatible.
The ISP networks are not forced to do a lot of processing such as CGN
otherwise requires.

I read some posts from Japan where users are reporting a deployment of
MAP-E. Anyone know about that?

Regards,

Baldur