UK, NL, & Asia LTE Providers for Opengear Console Servers

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Thu Aug 1 03:43:46 UTC 2019

I’ve used them in both cellular and non-cellular capacities and been pleased with them. AFAIK they can be setup as an IPSec terminator for clients and block other traffic, which lowers the attack surface a bit. I’ve also seen people try to use “all the features”, set them up as DNS/DHCP/etc and attach them to multiple networks because they are “a linux box”. Its not great. Treat them as a console server and you’ll be happy. Treat them as a general purpose linux “server” and you’ll be disappointed at the lack of flexibility in doing things.

I just used swisscom in Zurich. I would expect Orange would probably cover both UK and NL, but don’t know for sure. Haven’t had to do anything in Asia recently.

--
Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org <mailto:louisk at cryptomonkeys.org>
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/ <http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977