Packetstream - how does this not violate just about every provider's ToS?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Apr 27 03:15:32 UTC 2019

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 09:10 , Mark Seiden <mis at seiden.com> wrote:
>
> feeling cranky, are we, job?   (accusing an antispam expert of spamming on a mailing list by having too long a .sig?)
> but it’s true!  anne runs the internet, and the rest of us (except for ICANN GAC representatives) all accept that.
>
> to actually try to make a more substantial point, i am quite curious how the AUPs of carriers try to disallow bandwidth resale while permitting
> cybercafe operations and other “free wifi" (where internet service might be provided for patrons in a hotel or cafe)

Business internet contracts usually don’t prohibit resale, or, they place different limits on it. Residential contracts usually flat out prohibit it.
At least in theory, I would expect most cybercafe and other such operations to have a business class of service from the ISP.
> wireless access point schemes where you make money or get credit for allowing use of your bandwidth (e.g. Fon)
For residential end users, it probably does violate the ToS, but it’s unlikely such violation would be easily detected or enforced.
> other proxy services that use bandwidth such as tor exit nodes and openvpn gateways
Unless you’re doing something illegal or making money selling your bandwidth, most things like this probably aren’t technically violations of the ToS.
> i suppose they could just try to disallow resale or allow on-premises use even if revenue is received.  the Fon business model seems pretty comparable to me.

I agree — I’m pretty sure that both the Fon model and the packetstream model are probably ToS violations for most residential services.

Fon is unlikely to get noticed by most ISPs.

Packetstream seems a lot more risky, IMHO.

Owen