Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Apr 26 22:08:24 UTC 2019

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> The intent is to clearly state that this is a violation of the policies.
>
> The membership documents/bylaws or the RSA, your account may be closed.
> I looked at it when adapting the policy from RIPE to ARIN, don't have
> this information right in my mind, but I'm sure it was there.
>
> Otherwise, if needed another policy should state something like "if you
> keep violating policies" this and that may happen. This should be
> something generic for *any* policy violation not in general. We have
> this in RIPE and LACNIC, and I'm also convinced that in APNIC and
> AFRINIC (still working on those versions).

Not swip'ing your IPs is also a violation of the agreement, but until you
see this policy as pointless as written because it doesn't say that ARIN
will take any action other than publishing an opinion.  I think you're
also assuming there's a pool of experts standing by willing to investigate
every alleged hijacking (for free?).  Maybe there are.  If there aren't,
or once they get tired of investigating allegations, what then?