Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation (fwd)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 26 17:48:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 9:41 AM Matt Harris <matt at netfire.net> wrote:

> Can you (or someone else on the list, perhaps even someone who was
> involved in voting this down) provide some more details as to why it was
> rejected?

Hi Matt,

As I understand it (someone with better knowledge feel free to correct me)
the proposal was ruled out of scope for ARIN because ARIN registers
numbers, it doesn't decide how they're allowed to be routed. ISPs do that.

I personally support the petition. I think the out of scope reasoning is
flawed. By enforcing minimum assignment sizes, ARIN has long acted as a
gatekeeper to the routing system, controlling who can and can not
participate. For better or worse, that puts the proposal in scope.

I personally think it's for worse. I oppose the proposal itself. I'd just
as soon ARIN not act as a gatekeeper to BGP and certain don't want to see
it expand that role.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us