Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:06:40 UTC 2019

Peace,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019, 4:53 PM Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:

> > not only does someone have to 'hack' the database,
> > they also need to drive up to your house and sit in your driveway to get
> > free Internet.
>
> Sounds like you live in a single-family home, in a low-density
> neighborhood.  I live in an apartment complex, and WiFi Analyzer shows
> more than 20 beacons visible from my kitchen.

Also, I've seen people who use the same password (sometimes with few easily
reversible modifications) for virtually all the purposes, from the WiFi
router up to their e-mail and banking accounts.

Which is why today, if you store nearly anything close in a sense to a
passphrase in your database in cleartext, then you might be at risk just
because of that.

--
Töma