Packetstream - how does this not violate just about every provider's ToS?

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri Apr 26 12:01:05 UTC 2019

> Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
> Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 9:06 PM
>

> > On Apr 25, 2019, at 1:41 PM, Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:
> >
> > It seems like just another example of liability shifting/shielding. I'll
defer to
> Actual Lawyers obviously, but the way I see it, Packetstream doesn't have
> any contractual or business relationship with my ISP.  I do. If I sell
them my
> bandwidth, and my ISP decides to take action, they come after me, not
> Packetstream. I can plead all I want about how I was just running "someone
> else's software" , but that isn't gonna hold up, since I am responsible
for
> what is running on my home network, knowingly or unknowingly.
>
> And *that* is *exactly* my concern.  Because those users...('you' in this
> example)...they have *no idea* it is causing them to violate their ToS/AUP
> with their provider.

But isn't there a law in US that protects oblivious or outright simple-mined
population from falling for these type of "easy money" schemes by
prohibiting these types of business?
I believe there's something like that in EU (rendering pyramid schemes or
lending money with extreme interests illegal for example).
Although I appreciate that in this particular case the exact formulation
would be rather cumbersome to define.

adam