Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

K. Scott Helms kscott.helms at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 15:04:15 UTC 2019

Just so you know, if you have an embedded router from a service provider
all of that data is _already_ being transmitted and has been for a long
long time.  If it's being collected via SNMPv2c it is being transmitted in
the clear (though hopefully encrypted via BPI+ between the modem and the
CMTS).  If it's being collected via TR-069 it _may_ (should be) encrypted
in transit but in my experience that isn't guaranteed and when its being
sent over TLS there's often a self signed cert in the chain.

Scott Helms