Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

Benjamin Sisco bsisco at justassociates.com
Thu Apr 25 14:43:49 UTC 2019

On 4/24/ 2019 10:34 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> That's looking at it from a technical perspective when it isn't a technical problem. People that buy "includes wifi" from their ISP often need extreme amounts of help with it, and thus the wifi credentials are stored and transmitted in plain text for tech support reasons.

While I agree that the underlying need is to provide fast and effective customer service - it is ultimately a technical problem.  As it's been pointed out in subsequent posts WiFi is the leading cause of customer calls to an ISP offering the service.  Security and "ease of use" are often at odds with each other, and implementing the former with the latter is the challenge many of us wake up to each and every day.  The information should be encrypted at rest and in transit and could easily be decrypted by the CSP platform for use by customer support staff at the time of need when cusetomers call in - which would address the concern.

In my experience, bad practice is easily replicated.  What else is transmitted in cleartext?  Today it's the WiFi password, tomorrow it's your login, port forwarding, DMZ, and other details that are far more useful to a remote attacker than your WiFi password.