Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

Benjamin Sisco bsisco at justassociates.com
Wed Apr 24 15:13:33 UTC 2019

I think we all understand the value of using one’s own equipment and keeping the firmware up to date if one is in any way concerned about security.  We all should also understand that in a managed environment such as an ISP there should be no reasonable expectation of privacy regarding the configuration of the equipment attached to the ISP's network (rented or customer owned).

The bigger concern should be the cleartext portion of the subject.  There’s ZERO reason to store or transmit any credentials (login, service, keys, etc.), in any location, in an unencrypted fashion regardless of their perceived value or purpose.  Unless you like risk.

-- Ben
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privi­leged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communica­tion in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.