Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

Sean Figgins sean at labrats.us
Wed Apr 24 03:22:35 UTC 2019

On 4/23/19 8:35 PM, Peter Beckman wrote:
> Get your own router if you're worried about your Wifi Password being
> known
> by Comcast. Or change to WPA2 Enterprise, but I'm guessing that isn't
> supported on the router...

Original post seems to be someone that bought a used modem/router
combo.  Since the combo is part cable model, and needs to be provisioned
by the MSP, it is going to have access to parts of the config, including
the wireless password.  It is unknown if the password is stored in
plaintext in Comcast's database, and I doubt that someone from Comcast
is going to validate that.  It is being displayed to the account owner
for their benefit.  I honestly see nothing wrong with this in and of itself.

At the same time, I refuse to use one of these combo modem/router/WAP.
I don't want Comcast to steal my Internet for their roaming wireless,
and also don't trust their security.  I do all that myself on my own
hardware, and prefer to be responsible for my own security.  I suspect
most people to be lazy.

  -Sean