Comcast storing WiFi passwords in cleartext?

K. Scott Helms kscott.helms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 12:23:45 UTC 2019

While it's correct that it's stored in the vendor proprietary MIB this
information is commonly retrieved from the CableLabs standard MIB and via
TR-181 in DSL and FTTH gear.

I wrote up an answer on the security forum originally refereneced, but for
convenience here is the same text.

The PSK passphrase is (by design) stored in a retrievable format by the
Modem vendor, in this case Arris, but the same standard is supported by
many other modem vendors. In DOCSIS cable modems this is most commonly done
via SNMP against this specific OID:

clabWIFIAccessPointSecurityKeyPassphrase OBJECT-TYPE SYNTAX SnmpAdminString
(SIZE(0..63))
MAX-ACCESS read-create STATUS current DESCRIPTION "This object is defined
in TR-181 Device.WiFi.AccessPoint{i}.Security.KeyPassphrase." REFERENCE
"TR-181 Device Data Model for TR-069." ::=
{clabWIFIAccessPointSecurityEntry 5

This is part of the CableLabs WiFi MIB:

http://mibs.cablelabs.com/MIBs/wireless/CLAB-WIFI-MIB-2017-09-07.txt

Which is is in turn based on the TR-069 sub-standard of TR-181:

https://cwmp-data-models.broadband-forum.org/tr-181-2-11-0.html#D.Device:2.Device.WiFi.AccessPoint
.{i}.Security.KeyPassphrase

http://www.broadband-forum.org/download/TR-181_Issue-2_Amendment-2.pdf

Not only does this apply to cable modems, but many DSL and FTTH endpoints
will also allow the service provider to retrieve your PSK passphrases and a
litany of other settings.

This allows for end users to have their settings backed up in case of a
device having to be replaced or much more commonly for call centers to be
able to retrieve some of the settings, like the pass phrase, when a
customer calls in because they can't remember it.
Scott Helms