OffTopic: Telecom Fraud

Paul Timmins paul at telcodata.us
Tue Apr 23 20:14:25 UTC 2019

I guarantee you that if carriers were made civilly or criminally liable
for allowing robodialers to operate on their network, this sort of issue
would end practically overnight. Robodialer calling patterns are
obvious, and I'd imagine any tech could give you a criteria to search
for in the CDR streams to identify them and shut them off in hours.

Problem is, they're lucrative to provide services to, and there is
immunity on the carrier's part to these sorts of issues. SHAKEN/STIR
nonwithstanding (I don't think we'll see widespread adoption of this
within a decade, even with a government mandate as there's still a
massive embedded base of switches that can't support it and never will).

It may be incredibly frustrating, but there's plenty of money to be made
in prolonging the problem.

-Paul