Ownership of Routers on Both Ends of Transnational Links

Pengxiong Zhu pzhu011 at ucr.edu
Tue Apr 16 04:36:45 UTC 2019

Howdy folks,

We are a group of researchers at UC Riverside conducting some measurement
about transnational networks. In particular, we are interested in studying
the ownership of routers on the two sides of transnational links.

We have some concrete questions which we hope someone can shed some light
on. Basically when we send packets from US/Canada to China, through
traceroute and the RTT of each hop, we can locate the last hop in the US
before the packets enter China (*there is a large jump of RTT of 100+ms
from this hop onwards*). Oftentimes the ownership of such routers is
ambiguous.

These hops whose IPs seem to belong to US or European ISPs (*according to
BGP info*) but their reverse DNS names have *chinaunicom* in it, which is a
Chinese ISP.
AS1299 Telia Company AB
62.115.170.57    name = chinaunicom-ic-341501-sjo-b21.c.telia.net.
62.115.33.230    name = chinaunicom-ic-302366-las-bb1.c.telia.net.
213.248.73.190  name = chinaunicom-ic-127288-sjo-b21.c.telia.net.

AS701 Verizon Business
152.179.103.254  name = chinaunicom-gw.customer.alter.net.

While the following routers, they don't have a reverse DNS name at all,
which seem to be uncommon if they were managed by US or European ISPs but
quite common for Chinese ISPs.
AS6453 TATA COMMUNICATIONS (AMERICA) INC
63.243.205.90
66.110.59.118

Can anyone confirm that these are indeed managed by the Chinese ISPs (even
though they are physically located in the US according to the traceroute
and RTT analysis)?

Best,
Pengxiong Zhu
University of California, Riverside